Skip to main content

"We're getting the band back together!"

PREQUEL -  Read here

 (Yes, I really like the font Georgia, okay?! It reminds me of my careless youth.)

I am a 29-year-old woman with four guinea pigs, or as I like to refer to them, my starter pack for not getting laid. This is not entirely an exaggeration.

They are as follows: 

-  Smores, the John Lennon. She was my first pig. She has been my best friend these past several years. Strong and sassy, she has a temper but loves to cuddle with me. 

- Penny, the Blind Pig/Ringo Starr. She's super-neurotic, cries a lot, and tends to scream at anything that scares her (read : everything). She also yawns every time I pick her up and I'm still not quite sure why. I got her in 2013.

- Poppy, the George Harrison. Why? Because she's chill AF. Probably because she's really old but all good.

- Anddd PBC (short for Peanut Butter Cup), the Paul McCartney. I say  this because all the girls love her. And why would they not?! She's so tiny! She's like a chipmunk. When I hang out with her, I feel like a Disney character. 


PBC!!!!

I just acquired PBC, totally from happenstance. My friend's sister has a guinea pig, and that piggie was pregnant. I was offered a baby, which I agreed to under one circumstance - that it be a little girl. So a few weeks ago, after having sworn off owning more guinea pigs, I went full guinea pig again. And I haven't looked back because PBC and her energy have made me so happy.


Now, back in the day, I had Mocha, who died in 2014 in my arms. Peanut Butter Cup and her have the exact same coloring and both seem to be the runts of the little, so I sometimes wonder if PBC is a reincarnated Mocha. She missed the gang too much.

When I first brought PBC home two weeks ago, I worried Smores would eat her. No joke. Smores eats and/or mounts everything. She is an "alpha pig." You may be skeptical, but guinea pig hierarchy is a real thing. Seriously. I made Smores John Lennon for a reason. 



But now, Smores and PBC are like-

Meant 2 B

The only problem With PBC I've found so far is that she is a baby. And as a baby, she is learning how her lungs work.  (They work. Like, they work very well. She recently scared a Lyft driver.)

I am, tho, not getting more pigs. Four is plenty for me. 

JOIN ME in my next post, where I compare the pigs to popular sitcom characters.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And one more.

So, as most everyone who knows me is aware of, my last guinea pig Charley died about two weeks ago. Let me tell you, this month has been a blur. I am coming out of a weird period of my life, that is for sure. The guinea pigs were quite like people to me - I actually viewed them as little people with personalities and quirks and interests. Even if they were more of the simple variety  - like lettuce, chin rubs, and occasional trips outside the apartment. My biggest worry is people thinking, "Well, they were only guinea pigs." But none of them were - they were friends and family, too - and Charley was especially special. She was my little joy. I am not thinking of her as much, but it still sucks to see her blanket and stuffed toys and realize this little bundle of love is gone.  Charley was one of the most affectionate guinea pigs I've ever had in my lifetime of taking care of these animals, which started back when I was in grade school. And she wasn't so much like a

Obits For My Babies

I lost all four of my pigs this summer. All of them. PBC, Smores, Penny, Poppy. To say there isn't a hole in my chest is a lie. I feel their absence constantly.  I have a new piggie I bought when PBC passed away weirdly during the night, Charley Bear. Charley Bear is a lot like PBC. Except she's a little more restless and a little more distrustful of people. But man, do I love my Charley. She's been a godsend for me lately, even when she runs off my couch and tries to divebomb my carpet (note: I rarely let her do that).  But man. When they say life takes, it takes. And to quote Sufjan Stevens, "And he takes, and and he takes, and he takes." And he takes.  Even objectively speaking I don't think I deserved this. To wake up to one pig dead. To come home to another passed away under her water bottle. To put down two pigs, one being the best friend I've ever known. I think life played some sort of cruel joke on me; take away her favorite part of life,